Time off problems

admin, Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:39 pm

Time off problems

Tags:

navigator, Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:30 pm

I bet you guys know about the Port manning thing.. Well, here is the thing... how many of you had faced to have a only chance to have some time off and BOOM you're in Port manning ..??? should you mention to your supervisor how's your schedule is going for the current cruise ..should they know about it ?? yet,they are the one to organize it aren't they??

navigator, Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:35 pm

getting back to that point,I have seen some privileged individual who take important side jobs being asked first on which day they'd like to have day off ...previously arranged and sorted their days off first... sad sad sad

alberto.gaitan, Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:21 pm

I remember when I was working in cruises, Port Manning requires that the 1/3 of the crew remains onboard. In my case, restaurant personnel was divided and rotate. But those who have to pay for some fault, the manager includes them to be punished, no matter what. Although is the port is in your country; they will give you the chance to be out of the list that night. In case that you need to go out to meet some friend of the family, should be requested in advance. Once the list is sent to Security Office...forget about it.

atwbethany, Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:48 pm

Hey!

As with any job that you may pursue in life, there is always the feeling of 'time off'. Whether you work a 9-5 job and you have weekends off, or you are currently working shifts, so look forward to the days and time off during the week.

Well with ship life, it is a little different. 'Time off' is seen as a privaledge, something you should not expect. Depending on the job role that you work, will then reflect on how much time off you are allowed. What you do with that time off then, is your choice.

There are factors that effect each and every one of us and what we do with the time that we are allocated 'off' and not to work. Depending on your life goals and current reasoning as to why you work on the ship, will all stem into factors as how you spend your time off.

Are you on the ship to save money? Are you on the ship to travel? Are you on the ship as some time away from home to figure out what you will do in the future or are you there to work? To build a career for yourself?

No matter what your reasons behind this, the company will tell you that your job comes first and foremost and that you are there to work. Which is correct. Be prepared to have some of your free time taken from you if the company needs your man power. Be prepared to be used elsewhere if they feek they need you. Be prepared to have plans changed at last minute.

With this being said. Each company has strict guidelines, which they should adhere to and respect. Allowing each crew member a certain amount of time per 24 hour, of rest. What you choose to do with your rest is down to you. As long as you appear at work on time and doing your job correctly.

Getting off the ship and seeing the world is a privaledge, but the chance is given to most crew members, you should take advantage of this time as much as you can. If you feel that this isn't being given to you, there are superiors that you can voice your opinion to and hopefully be granted that chance.

Go for it!
@atwbethany

Return to “Ship Drama Problems”